Friday, August 23, 2013

Little Story, Big Insights 1


I just lost a big business deal. Losing a business deal is part of doing business and I can take this ‘in my stride’. At the same time, the client has been treating me in a very demeaning manner and, frankly, I still find this very difficult to cope with. 

Of course, the natural (emotional) reaction is to pick up the phone, argue and tell your client what you think of him, jeopardizing future business. Well, I didn’t do that, but went for a looong jog instead; my type of cooling-off exercise. After my 75minutes jog I sorted things out in my mind and my action plan.

As I finished my jog, I saw this elderly gentlemen walking very slowly and very gingerly with the aid of a walking stick. I greeted him and asked casually if he had a knee operation and he answered in an extremely cheery voice: ‘No, I had a spine operation 10 years ago.’ I showed some compassion as the recovery seems to take so long, again he answered in a very enthusiastic way: ‘I am very happy. I can walk so well now.’

Big Insight 1 – When you are really angry, find your own way to relax, get some distance to the cause of your anger. Then decide in a rational manner what you do next.

Big Insight 2 – The elderly gentleman had a much bigger problem than me and was still so friendly and cheery. So I cheered up as well. After all, my problem was a much smaller one.

Big Insight 3 – Problems are rarely that ‘earth-shattering’ as you think they are at the time when you think about them. Ask yourself ‘How many challenges, worries, and arguments did I have six months ago and they are totally irrelevant today?’

No comments:

Post a Comment